top of page

Springfield campus is a short walk from Wolverhampton train station and is well-located for local hotels, restaurants, bars and other amenities. 

Parking: parking will be available at Springfield campus for all delegates for the whole duration of the congress. Please inform security at the carpark barrier that you are attending the conference and you will be allowed in. 

Download room information and map 

Springfield campus,
University of Wolverhampton

Getting to Wolverhampton

To navigate to Springfield Campus, Wolverhampton via Waze, GoogleMaps or any other Sat Nav system use the postcode WV10 0JR

From London by car:

  • West London (incl. Heathrow) - take A40 (Western Avenue) then M40 north to the M42 (around Birmingham) going west to M5, then north to M6, leaving at Junction 10, going west along the Black Country Route, then the Keyway following signs for Wolverhampton. 
    An alternative route from the M40 involves going east around the M42 to the M6 and again leaving at Junction 10, taking care not to end up on the M6(Toll) which does not help with getting to Wolverhampton.

  • North London - A5, A51 then M1 north before turning west (left) onto the M6, leaving at Junction 10 and going west along the Black Country Route, then the Keyway following signs for Wolverhampton. 

From London Heathrow or Gatwick airports by train:

  • The main train routes from London to Wolverhampton depart from Euston station.

  • From Heathrow terminals to Euston station - Elizabeth Line operates a train from Heathrow Terminals 2 & 3 to Tottenham Court Road Station every 15 minutes. Tickets cost £5 - £11 and the journey takes 33 min. Alternatively, you can take a bus from London Heathrow Airport (LHR) to Euston Station via Hammersmith Broadway, Hammersmith Bus Station, and Drummond Street in around 1h 25m.

  • From Gatwick terminals to Euston station - Southern Service operates a train from Gatwick Airport to London Victoria every 15 minutes. Tickets cost £10 - £14 and the journey takes 32 min. Gatwick Express also services this route every 30 minutes

  • From Euston station to Wolverhampton - Avanti West Coast operates a train from London Euston to Wolverhampton hourly. Tickets cost £45 - £130 and the journey takes 1h 49m. London Northwestern Railway also services this route once a week. Alternatively, National Express operates a bus from Victoria Coach Station to Wolverhampton Bus Station twice daily. Tickets cost £23 - £35 and the journey takes 4h.  The LOC recommends the Trainline website or app to get real-time information about trains to Wolverhampton. Download Trainline (Android) or Trainline (iOS)

From Birmingham International Airport by train:

  • From Birmingham International Airport to Birmingham International train station - the Air-Rail link arrives every 2 minutes and is free to use.

  • From Birmingham International to Wolverhampton - Avanti West Coast operates a train from Birmingham International to Wolverhampton hourly. Tickets cost £7 - £55 and the journey takes 43 min. Transport for Wales also operates a train hourly from Birmingham International to Wolverhampton. Tickets for this service cost £9 - £17 and the journey takes 32 min. London Northwestern Railway operates a train from Birmingham International to Birmingham New Street station every 19 min for £2 - £4. From Birmingham New Street to Wolverhampton the London Northwestern Railway departs every 15 minutes and the journey takes 26 min.  The LOC recommends the Trainline website or app to get real-time information about trains to Wolverhampton. Download Trainline (Android) or Trainline (iOS)

From Birmingham International Airport by car:

  • Three possible routes:

  • Via M42 Download the directions here

  • Via M6 Toll Download the directions here

  • Via A45 A454 Download the directions here

About the venue

Springfield Campus, University of Wolverhampton

220525-Springfield-MillionPlus-Article-Resized.jpg

The University began life as the Wolverhampton Tradesmen’s and Mechanic’s Institute in 1827. Almost a hundred years later, in 1926, it became the Wolverhampton and Staffordshire Technical College. In 1931 Prince George, Duke of Kent (1902–1942) laid the foundation stone outside the main building in Wulfruna Street (Wulfruna Building). In 1951 the college became the Wolverhampton and Staffordshire College of Technology, and then more simply the Wolverhampton College of Technology in 1966, becoming The Polytechnic, Wolverhampton in 1969 when it merged with the Municipal School of Art. In 1992 the Polytechnic became the University of Wolverhampton.

 

The University of Wolverhampton has almost 19,000 students and offers 380 undergraduate and postgraduate courses across a number of campuses. The main campus is City Campus, inside the Wolverhampton ring road in the University Quarter of Wolverhampton. Walsall Campus is a former teacher training college 11 km to the east, while the Telford Innovation Campus is located 29 km northwest of Wolverhampton. There is also a nursing campus at Burton-on-Trent to the north, a cyber security centre at Hereford to the south, and a Science Park 2 km north of the City Campus.

 

The 22nd European Congress of Herpetology is taking place at the Springfield Campus, the home of the School of Architecture and the Built Environment (SoABE), a 10–15 minute walk from the City Campus and a similar distance from the railway station. The refurbishment of the Springfield site, originally the Grade II listed Mitchell & Butler’s brewery, cost £120-million. The £45-million SoABE stands next door to the £17.5-million National Brownfield Institute. Both are spectacular buildings and the SoABE building is an excellent venue for a conference such as ours.

Read more about the venue here

 

 

The crest of the University of Wolverhampton features Lady Wulfrun (c.935–c.1005), alongside the engineer Thomas Telford (1757–1834), after whom the neighbouring new town of Telford was named 31 km northwest of Wolverhampton. Telford is home to another campus of the University of Wolverhampton.

crest.jpg

History of Wolverhampton

IMG-20230107-WA0029.jpg

St Peter's Church Wolverhampton - N Kruger

Wolverhampton is a city in the English Midlands with a population of roughly 250,000.

 

The town was founded in AD 985 and was known in Anglo-Saxon as Wulfrūnehēantūn, which translates as “Lady Wulfrun’s high farm”  on land granted by royal charter by King Ethelred the Unready. The Lady Wulfruna (c.935–c.1005), was a Mercian noblewoman and a statue to her stands outside St Peter’s Collegiate Church, which itself dates back to Anglo-Saxon times, opposite the University of Wolverhampton’s Wulfruna Building on Wulfruna Street. The Mercians and the West Saxons formed an alliance to repel marauding Danes in 910, with battles taking place at Wednesfield (Woden’s Field) to the northeast, and Tettenhall to the northwest.

Wolverhampton is mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1086, a manuscript initiated by William the Conqueror, the first Norman king of England, which was probably the first census of England and Wales. By the 13th Century Wolverhampton was an important market town, by the 14th and 15th Centuries it was a centre for the wool trade, and by the 16th Century a centre for lock-making, factors leading to the inclusion of a woolpack and a padlock on the town’s coat of arms.

People from overseas may be puzzled by the traditional burning of an effigy, a “Guy” on top of a bonfire on November 5th each year. The event celebrates the foiling of a plot to assassinate King James I of England (who was also King James VI of Scotland) at the State Opening of Parliament in 1605. After 45 years of oppression under the Protestant Queen Elizabeth I (1533–1603), the Catholic families of England hoped for better times under the Catholic King James (1566–1625). When he failed to deliver they determined to get rid of him and put his nine-year-old Catholic daughter Elizabeth on the throne. The eleven conspirators had purchased a cellar under the house next door to Parliament, where they stashed 36 barrels of gunpowder and a load of firewood guarded by Guy Fawkes (1570–1806) aka Guido Fawkes, an English mercenary who had fought for the Spanish in the Spanish Netherlands. But the “Gunpowder Plot” was discovered and Fawkes captured, while most of the other plotters fled London for the Midlands, only to be run to ground at Holbeche House on the outskirts of Wolverhampton. Having arrived in the rain the plotters set about drying their gunpowder in front of the fire but it was ignited by a spark and several of the men were seriously injured. Meanwhile, the Sheriff of Worcestershire surrounded the house and there followed a fight where three plotters were killed as they ran from the house towards the sheriff’s posse. The others were wounded, captured and taken back to London where they and Fawkes were “hanged, drawn and quartered”. Two local farmers who had aided the fugitives were executed in Wolverhampton.

 

The Gunpowder Plot, which could have changed the course of British history, effectively ended at Holbeche House, 11 km south of Wolverhampton, but it was not the last time the fate of English royalty would be destined by events close to the town.

 

Boscobel House is a 17th Century farmhouse 15 kilometres northwest of Wolverhampton which was owned by the Catholic Giffard family [1] and it was here that the then Prince Charles II sought shelter following his defeat at the Battle of Worcester (1651) during the English Civil War [2]. While Parliamentarian forces hunting him Charles is reputed to have hidden above their heads in the “Boscobel Oak”, a descendant of which still stands on the site today. Charles also took refuge in the “priest holes”, hidden chambers in the walls and floors of the large Catholic houses left over from the time when Catholic families illegally took Mass at home from priests and sometimes had to hide them from Queen Elizabeth’s soldiers and sheriffs. Charles also hid in the priest holes of nearby Moseley Old Hall before fleeing the country, remaining abroad for nine years,  before returning as King Charles II following the death of Oliver Cromwell.

 

Wolverhampton even appears in Darwin’s The Voyage of the Beagle (1839), when he referenced the landscape of the Galapagos Islands, with its smoking geysers, “As resembling chimneys, the comparison would have been more exact if I had said the iron furnaces near Wolverhampton”.

 

During the Industrial Revolution Wolverhampton was every bit an industrial town. Prior to her reign the soon-to-be Queen Victoria visited Wolverhampton and found it “a large and dirty town” and she was said to close the curtains of her carriage windows when the Royal Train passed through the “Black Country”, so called because of the industry and its accompanying grime and smoggy atmosphere. However, she did return to the town for the unveiling of a statue to her beloved Prince Albert, the Prince Consort (1840–1861), in Queen Square, her first public appearance since the death of her husband.

 

For sports lovers, the name Wolverhampton is synonymous with Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club, aka the “Wolves”. Formed in 1877 as St Luke’s FC, the Wolves, who play in old gold and black, was one of the original founding members of the Football League in 1888. They have won the FA Cup four times, in 1893, 1908, 1949 and 1960. Wolves are currently in the Premier League and their stadium is the Molineux, which is located a short walk from the Springfield and City Campuses of the University of Wolverhampton. This is where we plan to host the Conference Banquet.

 

It is also interesting to note that Wolverhampton lies within the English Shires, even though it is now part of the County of West Midlands. The English Shires were the backdrop to J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth in Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, with the industrial Black Country proposed, rather unkindly, as Mordor. George R.R. Martin’s Game of Thrones is also based on a very British Isles map which would also place Wolverhampton in the thick of the action. Peaky Blinders is set to the east in Birmingham’s Small Heath district.

 

Wolverhampton was granted city status in the year 2000.

Footnotes:

[1] The Giffard Arms is a pub in Victoria Street, Wolverhampton with a long history as a goth and rock venue.

[2] There were effectively three English Civil Wars. The first, between King Stephen and Empress Maud, took place during a time known as “The Anarchy” (1138–1487); the second was the War of the Roses (1455–1487) when the Houses of Lancaster and Tudor battled the House of York; the third English Civil War (1639–1653) was effectively three separate but connected wars (The Wars of Three Kingdoms), between the Parliamentarian forces, the “New Model Army” led by Oliver Cromwell, aka the “roundheads” and the Royalist forces, the “Cavaliers” of King Charles I, who was captured and executed in 1649, and then his son, Charles II.

Wolverhampton_coat_of_arms.svg.png
bottom of page